Brownies might well be one of my absolute favorite things on this planet. Which is why I decided I really wanted to make some and decided to go the festive route and make some red velvet brownies since it’s February and everything has to be pink and red. It’s like the law or something.
I actually couldn’t care less about valentine’s day. Not cause I’m bitter or anything I just don’t really care one way or another. The one thing I do love about the holiday though is the decorations. Pink and red, hearts everywhere, adorable animals, I’m just here for all of it.
So I figured why not get festive with dessert too and take some standard brownies and turn them into red velvet style brownies. You could even use a little heart cookie cutter and cut them out that way if you want to get really crazy.
These brownies are ridiculously delicious and I promise you would never even know they are vegan. I took a little bit of inspiration from these fudge cookies and used both cocoa powder and chocolate chips to make them a little more decadent. I think it paid off nicely.
These brownies would be great for any little get togethers or pot lucks you may be going to coming up or even any kind of baby or bridal shower. They are sure to please everybody and still stay friendly for people who may not eat dairy. You could even use your favorite gluten free flour blend to make them gluten free of course.
However you work it these brownies are sure to be a crowd pleaser. Or you can just be like me and eat them all yourself. Not that I’ve done that. I did actually dig into them while watching Grey’s Anatomy though and that I can definitely highly recommend doing.
If you do try this or any other recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #modernlittlevictories on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think and see what you create in your kitchen.
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seed + 5 tbsp water)
- ½ cup vegan buter, melted
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tbsp. red food coloring
- powdered sugar (optional for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 350* and grease a brownie pan.
- Mix your flax seed with water and set aside for about 5 minutes to thicken a bit.
- Either in the microwave or a small sauce pan combine your butter and chocolate chips and melt together. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl combine dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt) whisk together and set aside.
- In another bowl add in your sugar, melted butter and chocolate, vanilla and flax eggs. Whisk until combined.
- Add in dry ingredients and whisk until all combined. Add in food coloring and stir until all incorporated.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and top with powdered sugar.