Let’s talk about salads for a minute! I kind of have a love hate relationship with them when it comes to making them at home. I don’t know what it is about salads but I really love them just not so much when I have to make them myself. There’s something about this lemon thyme salad with white beans and sweet potatoes that’s different though.
Maybe because it’s more hearty and so colorful and really delicious but this is definitely a salad that I don’t mind making myself. It takes a little effort with cooking the sweet potato but it’s so worth it.
I wanted to make a salad similar to this but with a few different ingredients a few months ago but I had to improvise with what I had and this is what I came up with. The beans are perfect protein and you get your good complex carbs from the sweet potato. Then you have all the delicious veggies. It’s just a rainbow of delight basically.
The dressing is the simplest vinaigrette ever with just lemon, olive oil, and a bit of dried thyme. It’s so fresh and bright and it pairs perfectly with everything in the salad.
This salad is healthy, flavorful, and perfect to prep one day and then have for lunches for a couple of days. You can even sub out chickpeas for white beans if you want.
If you do try this or any other recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #modernlittlevictories on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think and see what you create in your kitchen.
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard (yellow or Dijon)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, torn to bite size pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato, sliced
- 8 oz green beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz white beans
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat and cook sweet potato turning pieces over once they are browned. Let cook about 15-20 minutes until they are fork tender.
- Blanch the green beans in a pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes or you can sautee them in the same pan as the sweet potato (less mess!).
- Tear your lettuce and prep your dressing and any other veggies you may need to cut and mash your beans with a fork.
- Once the sweet potatoes and green beans are done plate your salad drizzle dressing on top and serve!