I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’ve grown to really love Brussels sprouts. I actually find myself craving them which is not something I ever thought I’d say. I think even if that weren’t the case though I would love these Brussels sprout and caramelized onion puffs.
I made these for the first time a couple weeks ago for Christmas party I had and they were a hit. I wasn’t exactly sure how they were going to come out because I hadn’t made them before but I literally found myself just eating the filling with a fork before I baked them.
With awards season coming up and the Super Bowl in a few weeks these are the perfect appetizer to serve your guests. They are super simple to make since all you really have to do is caramelize the onions and then put everything on pre-made puff pastry sheets. Some stores have pre-shaved Brussels sprouts which is what I used and it made life that much easier.
You can even make them the day before and then just warm them in the oven before you serve them so that it’s even easier for you if you are having guests over. I don’t know if I recommend that though because then it becomes to tempting to just eat them all yourself. Not that I would ever consider doing that or anything.
If you do try this or any other recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #modernlittlevictories on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think and see what you create in your kitchen.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup shredded brussels sprouts
- ½ cup shredded gouda
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 425* and place puff pastry on the counter to semi defrost.
- In a medium skillet heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Place onions in pan, cover, and let cook down until they are tender and golden brown. Stirring occasionally. Add in balsamic vinegar about 10 minutes before they are done. If they are starting to burn then add a bit of water to the pan and re-cover.
- Once the onions are done remove them from the heat add salt & pepper to taste.
- Cut your puff pastry into 9 squares and place on a cookie sheet,
- In a medium bowl mix together Brussels, onions, and cheese. Place a spoonful of the mixture onto the center of each pastry being sure to leave an edge around the entire thing.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until puff pastry is golden. Serve warm!