I have quite a few staples when it comes to Christmas baking and then there are a few that I’ve made before but really never tried again. A few years ago I tried some cherry shortbread cookies with maraschino cherries that were really good but I didn’t think they were really worth the fuss.
Shortbread is so finicky and even when I made these I had intended to make cookies but then I decided just making them into bars would be the way to go. I had already dirtied this cookie sheet so I went with this instead of a casserole dish but I think it worked out well. The thin layer of the dough ensured that the cookies came out extra crispy and delicate.
They didn’t exactly cut into perfect squares but I sort of liked that. It was more like when you break candy bark and you sort of end up with a lot of fun pieces. Some were big. Some were small. But they were all delicious.
If you’re not a vegan you can just use good ol regular white chocolate otherwise you can either omit the white chocolate completely or you can sub vegan white chocolate. These would probably be good with dark chocolate as well.
These really are great for all your Christmas cookie needs. Parties, gifts, cookie exchanges and the like. There are endless cookies to be made this time of year but sometimes it’s fun to mix it up a little and and go with something a little different. These are super easy because you just have to make the dough and put it in a baking tray and that’s it. Pretty low key which is always a good thing this time of year.
If you do try this or any other recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #modernlittlevictories on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think and see what you create in your kitchen.
- 2 cups AP flour
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ¾ cup dried cherries
- 1 cup vegan white chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350* and spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and/or parchment paper
- In a small bowl mix flour, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter, powdered sugar, and granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Turn to low and gradually add in flour mixture. Add extract, ½ cup white chocolate, and cherries. Press into baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.
- Once cool melt about the other ½ cup of white chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments until completely melted Drizzle all over the shortbread and let sit until chocolate is firm. Cut into pieces.
Vegan White Chocolate – Click to Buy