Peanut butter. Crunchy veggies. Chickpeas. So much win in one little salad. I can’t begin to tell you how much I love this salad. For whatever reason it reminds me of fall/winter and I often eat it during this time of year.
I think it’s the perfect break from all the rich and sweet foods that I consume this time of year that makes it perfect. It’s got the spice from the dressing, and the fresh veggies, and it just feels like a nice break from all the stuffing and pie.
The peanut dressing is a lot like sauce for the pad thai that I make and I am so here for it. I’m really weird about peanut butter flavored stuff. Sometimes I really like it and other times I avoid it at all costs unless it’s just on toast or something.
This dressing though is seriously one of my favorites. I can’t get enough of it. I love the peanut flavor with the chili and soy sauce. It all just comes together perfectly. It will also keep for a few days in the fridge so you can make it and then eat the salad for lunch throughout the week, which is what I do! Gives you something healthy and ready to go without much fuss once it’s all prepared.
You can use any type of kale for this salad but for some reason I’m partial to dinosaur kale for this specific kale salad. I don’t know why exactly and it’s not like it really makes a difference but if you can find dinosaur kale I would go with that. Maybe it’s just the name. Does it get much cooler than dinosaur kale? Not really.
If you do try this or any other recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #modernlittlevictories on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think and see what you create in your kitchen.
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- juice of half a lime
- ½ tsp chili garlic sauce
- 4 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp sriracha – optional for added heat
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and dried
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- juice of half a lime
- salt to taste
- 1 bunch kale, chopped/torn into bite size bits
- 2 tsp sesame oil (or olive oil)
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup peanuts
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat in. Add chickpeas, sprinkle with salt, and cook until golden and crunchy. About 15 minutes.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients minus the water for the dressing and whisk together until combined. Add the water 1 tbsp at a time until you reach desired consistency. Set aside.
- Drizzle the sesame oil over top of the kale in a large bowl and massage well to soften the kale and remove some of the bitterness.
- Once the chickpeas are finished add juice of half a lime and sriracha.
- Plate your kale and top with peanuts, scallions, peanuts and chickpeas. Drizzle with dressing and serve.