I’m going to let you in on the secret to the best kale salad ever. Massaging the kale with oil. That sounds so strange but trust me when I say it makes all the difference in the world. Kale salad gets a bad rap and I get it I don’t really like just regular raw kale but put a little olive oil on the top and work it a little bit it breaks the kale down and makes it not only more flavorful but it changes the texture completely.
Then from there you can put whatever you want in your kale salad and it will taste 100x better than normal. I mean unless you really dig raw kale then you do you, boo.
This just so happens to be my very favorite kale salad though. Like, of all time. I am always here for a good hearty kale salad but this one is tops in my book. It’s so simple but so incredibly delicious.
I made this salad for a party a couple years ago and I literally ended up having to give out the recipe right then and there to some people it was that big of a hit. The whole thing got dusted completely. So it’s safe to say that I’m not alone in my feelings on this salad.
I tweaked it a little bit this time by adding the brussel sprouts just because for some reason I was really really craving them and decided they would go great in this salad and I was right.
This salad is good warm with the dressing right of the stove but it’s also really good when it’s cold the next day. You kind of can’t go wrong either way. It’s good year around but I tend to find myself making this all throughout the holiday season especially.
If you do try this or any other recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #modernlittlevictories on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think and see what you create in your kitchen.
- 1 large bunch kale
- 2 dozen brussel sprouts
- 1 shallot, minced
- ½ cup olive oil, plus more for kale
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, agave, or honey if not vegan
- juice of half a lemon
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400*. Cut brussel sprouts in half and drizzle with olive oil. Roast until they are tender and start to brown a little. About 20 minutes.
- In a small pan sautee shallot in 1 tbsp olive oil. Cook until translucent. Add cranberries and cook them for a few minutes.
- Put the olive oil, vinegar, honey/syrup, and lemon in the pan and mix well. Let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over kale and massage until soft.
- Add brussel sprouts & almonds to kale. Drizzel dressing over top. Toss together and serve.