I don’t think anybody truly understands the things I would do to have a Pret-A-Manger right around the corner from my house. I mean that might sound silly but I kind of mean it. They have quick healthy options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, lots of veggie choices, and it’s all grab and go. As in I can’t be bothered to actually think about cooking or what to eat so I’ll just go grab a salad and be happy.
Or in this case kale and cauliflower mac and cheese because Pret is exactly where I got the inspiration for this recipe. I’ve been craving it for months but unfortunately there are only a few Pret’s in the US and I won’t be in again London anytime soon so I had to take matters into my own hands.
There are few things I love more than mac and cheese and listen while I know that it’s still mac and cheese I feel like adding kale and cauliflower to it makes it healthy. You can’t convince me otherwise. Veggies = healthy even when they are coated in cheese. Sorry I don’t make the rules.
All joking aside this may not be the healthiest dish but you are still getting the benefits of the veggies while having the indulgence of the mac and cheese. The kale and cauli also give it a really good flavor apart from just, you know, cheese.
This is definitely filling enough to just eat as a meal in itself, which is what I did. It would also make the perfect side for Thanksgiving. There’s no such thing as too many carbs on thanksgiving so I would definitely recommend throwing this into the mix. Especially if you are going to a pot-luck or having one at work or something. You would be a hit if you brought this as your dish.
If you do try this or any other recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #modernlittlevictories on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think and see what you create in your kitchen.
- 8 oz pasta
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 ½ cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 cups chopped kale
- ½ head cauliflower
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Blanch cauliflower in boiling water for 5 min. Chop into small pieces after it’s cooked.
- Cook pasta to package instructions draining pasta 2-4 minutes before package indicates.
- In an oven safe pan melt butter and add flour. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add the milk a little bit at a time, whisking constantly. Cook until thickened. 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups of cheese. Add ground mustard and salt and pepper.
- Add pasta, kale, and cauliflower into cheese sauce. Mix until all coated.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubbly.