You guys, I’ve been in mourning all week now that the Great British Bake off is over. The season ended last week and that was also the last time that the show would air the way we know it on the BBC. Well I’ve been told there are going to be Christmas specials but still. I’ve legit been sad that we aren’t going to see Mary, Sue, and Mel in the tent again for another full season. What is life going to be like without Mary Berry’s “lairs” a.k.a layers? It just won’t be the same.
The more I’ve watched GBBO the more I’ve felt like my baking is nowhere near up to snuff. I’ve also realized that when I was originally going to call this recipe apple bread I would probably be offending Paul and Mary by doing that.
I mean it’s not technically bread right? It’s more like a cake/sponge but it’s sort of cut like bread. So what’s the solution? W.W.B.D? What Would Bezza Do? She would call it a loaf so that’s what it is.
While I’m sure this won’t be winning me any big time baking competitions this is still seriously delicious. I wanted to make something similar to apple fritters without frying them and without a lot of work and that’s how I ended up with this apple bread.I love apple fritters. Like love them would eat them every day if I could. That obviously wouldn’t be the wisest of choices so sometimes you need a bit of an alternative.
This of course is a little different but all the flavors are there and the bread is dense yet moist and then all the flavors with the cinnamon and apples puts it over the edge. It’s perfect for breakfast or to serve guests after dinner. It has just the right amount of sweetness without being too much but I like to push it over the edge a little by putting a glaze on top. Sometimes you just need to glaze things and this is one of those times.
If you do try this or any other recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #modernlittlevictories on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think and see what you create in your kitchen.
- 2 apples, peeled & chopped
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 3 tbsp water
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Place the peeled and chopped apples in a bowl with the cinnamon and brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a small dish mix the flaxseed and water together. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking power, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl mix together the sugar, milk, and butter. Add in the flour a little bit at a time. Mix until just combined. Add in the flax egg.
- Fold in the apples & then pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake for about 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Wait until cool and then add the glaze on top.