I learned to cook from my dad and that meant learning to cook without using recipes really. My dad didn’t own cookbooks and he certainly wasn’t on pinterest looking up recipes. He just thought of something that would be good and he would make it work. It’s funny how learning to cook like that helped me out more than I could have ever thought because it makes it a little bit easier to create recipes.
Now obviously stew isn’t very complex and there’s a pretty standard stew recipe out there that everyone tweaks to their own fancy but the first time I made this I literally just threw everything into a pot and figured it would work. And it did work! It’s loaded with veggies and you get your protein from the lentils. It’s hearty and warm and perfect for fall.
Lentils are obviously my go to when it comes to subbing out meat in recipe and I use them all the time but for good reason. There’s no doubt that they are perfect in this stew as the give you the protein and they take up the flavor of the stew wonderfully.
I love how filling and hearty this recipe is and the fact that this makes a ton of stew. You could make it and freeze some or you could make it one day and have it for dinners throughout the week. I’m all about making a meal and then eating it for a few days so I don’t have to worry about cooking and this is a perfect recipe to do that with.
If you do try this or any other recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #modernlittlevictories on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think and see what you create in your kitchen.
- 4 cups veggie broth
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 medium russet potato, diced
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ tbsp. thyme
- ½ tbsp.. basil
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Once cooked add broth, potato, carrot, and lentils. Bring to a boil and let cook for about 20 minutes or until veggies and lentils are tender.
- Once they are cooked add in the tomatoes and peas. Add in the spices and salt and pepper to taste.
- If you want to thicken your stew add the cornstarch to a small bowl. Add some of the broth and stir until combined. Add into stew and let thicken.
- Serve immediately.