Trying to eat a plant-based diet is both really easy and really hard. Well maybe hard isn’t the right word. Sometimes there are meals I used to make that I really really enjoyed but then I’m like okay I want something like that but without meat and I’m not sure how to do it.
This dish is 100% inspired by that and it has ended up being one of my absolute favorite meals to make. It’s ridiculously easy and it’s so delicious and also I found some pretty good protein subs for it so that’s a win.
The tomato and olive part of it is what I used to make and I would put it over chicken and serve it with broccoli and roasted zucchini. I forgot about the zucchini when I made it this time but seriously it goes so well with this. Anyway, I thought it would be a weird meal to just make tomato and green olives with some greens.
One day I was really really craving it though and then it hit me that I could use white beans to substitute the protein aspect of it. It was pretty much a stroke of genius. Well, maybe not genius but it was a good idea cause it worked really well.
I’ve made this a couple times and each time I’ve sort of tweaked what goes in the bowl with it. I’ve done green beans and quinoa (more protein!) and that was really good. This time I went with kale (yes there’s protein in that!) and wild rice because well I just wanted rice instead of quinoa. The point is that you can adjust this however you want and with whatever greens you fancy or have on hand. I had the intention of adding asparagus too this time but I forgot to grab some at the store the roasted garlic kale was amazing though so I wasn’t mad about the missing asparagus.
This makes a really quick weeknight dinner or you could also make this on a Sunday and have it for healthy lunches throughout the weekend! And if you are a carnivore you can totally grill up some chicken or use rotisserie chicken and it’s really delicious.
If you do try this or any other recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #modernlittlevictories on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think and see what you create in your kitchen.
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice (or quinoa)
- 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large roma tomatoes
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped green olives
- ½ small onion
- 1 15oz can cannellini beans
- ½ tbsp basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- -Cook your grains according to the package instructions.
- -In a medium pan add 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft add in chili flakes and all of the kale. Cook everything until the kale is wilted.
- -While the kale is cooking chop up your tomatoes and onion (and olives if you need to chop them). Remove kale from the pan and add in the last tbsp. of olive oil. Add in the onion until translucent then add in chopped tomato, sauce, basil, beans and olives. Let cook for about 15 minutes until everything is warm and bubbly.
- -Add kale, rice, and green olive mixture into a bowl and serve warm!