I tend to eat soup year around but sometimes it’s just too unbearably hot in the summer where I live to even consider it. So I’ve eagerly been waiting for the weather to cool down so that I can make soup to my heart’s content.
It’s finally cooled down a little bit and so that means soup, soup, and more soup. I’ve been so eager to post some of my favorite soup recipes here so I’m glad I’m finally getting the chance.
Tortilla soup is one of my absolute favorites and I knew it would be the first kind I made when the weather dipped below 80*.
No two tortilla soup recipes are the same. I feel like I’ve seen a million different kind of tortilla soups and while they are all delicious and easy this one is truly no fuss. It’s so simple and just as delicious. I used to make it with chicken as is standard for tortilla soup but the black beans as a plant based substitute are perfect. They add a punch of protein and go perfectly with the flavors in the soup.
There’s all kinds of ways you can gussy the soup up when you get ready to serve it and it’s all up to you. You can make your own tortilla strips or buy them. You can use avocado for a bit of creaminess or even sour cream if you’d like. If you’re weird you can also add some cilantro. Okay, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to call you weird. I just think it tastes like soap and can’t imagine anyone liking it. But if you’re into eating soap then go ahead and add some cilantro to your soup. I won’t judge.
This is perfect for any day of the week really, a weeknight meal or a cozy rain Saturday. It’s quick enough to whip up in a hurry or you can let it simmer a little longer if you’re not in a rush.
If you do try this or any other recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #modernlittlevictories on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think and see what you create in your kitchen.
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained
- 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped green chile
- ¼ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- optional: tortilla strips, avocado, vegan/ regular shredded cheese
- In a medium sauce pan heat oil over medium heat. Sautee garlic and onion until translucent. Add in spices directly to the pan with the garlic and onions. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in vegetable, stock, tomatoes, beans, and green chlie. Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and let simmer for at 15 minutes.
- Serve and top with diced avocado and tortilla strips. If you’re not vegan you can also add some shredded cheese.