The basis for this bowl comes from a dish called calabacitas that my grandma used to make when I was a kid and I would never have thought of touching. If you’ve been here a while you know that’s a theme around here. Eventually of course I ended up loving them and they are one of my absolute favorite dishes to make.
I used to make them as a side with chicken but ever since I stopped eating it I had a hard time trying to figure out what to eat with them so that it could be a complete meal with enough protein. Eventually the obvious answer was black beans and then this time I added the quinoa.
If you eat any kind of plant based/vegetarian diet you know how concerned people are about you’re protein intake. People always ask how I get my protein and I’m like well I eat things with protein? It’s simple really. Sometimes you have to get creative and think up new ways but this is the perfect example of how to do it.
This dish is jam packed with protein from both the black beans and the quinoa and it’s full of fresh veg and there’s nothing about it that’s lacking in flavor. It’s basically a plant lovers dream.
It’s also super simple to make and doesn’t really require much fuss. Especially if you have the quinoa already made. I had made a pot of it at the beginning of the week to eat on for a few days and have ready when I got ready to make this and it made all the difference. All that was left to do was cook the calabacitas and whip up some guacamole, which takes about 20 minutes. Then you just put everything in a bowl and you’re good as gold.
If you do try this or any other recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #modernlittlevictories on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think and what you create in your kitchen.
- 4 cups mexican squash, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ quarter red onion, sliced
- 4 oz roasted green chile
- 1 large roma tomato
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tbsp oregano
- ½ tbsp cumin
- salt to taste
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup salsa
- ½ tbsp chili powder
- ½ tbsp cumin
- 1 cup black beans
- Optional: guacamole and tortilla chips, lime
- In a medium pan heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add in onion and squash.Cook until tender.
- Add in spices, green chile, tomato, sauce, and water.
- Cover and let cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking put the quinoa in a bowl and mix with the salsa, cumin, and chili powder.
- In a wide bowl serve the squash with the quinoa and beans and a helping of guacamole if you’re using it. Squeeze a bit of lime juice over the top and serve!