Last week I was talking about getting in a breakfast rut and eating the same thing over and over again. Well I’ve been trying to break out of that and so French Toast was next on the menu of breakfast foods I haven’t had in ages.
I genuinely could not tell you the last time I had French toast. My dad used to make it for me every once in a while but not very often. I think I tried to make it one time and I got a little bit grossed out by the way the eggs cooked on the bread. It was one of those foods that I liked if I didn’t really see how it was made or what was on it.
Sorry if you like normal French toast and I just ruined it. It just sort of weirded me out though. So it definitely wasn’t something I thought about ever making. Until I really started to crave it. Then one day Travis Barker posted a picture from a restaurant in LA that he co-owns of vegan French toast and I was a woman on a mission. Since I didn’t like the egg so I thought perfect I’ll figure out how to make it vegan. My first attempt totally flopped though. Wrong bread. Not really the right texture. It was just wrong.
This time around though I got it right! I happened to have chia seed pudding on hand so I thought well this will be perfect for the consistency and texture. Turns out I was right. You don’t need to actually have the pudding though. You can just let the chia seeds sit in the almond milk for about 15 minutes to give them a chance to work there magic. You don’t want them to sit in there too long though because you don’t want all of the almond milk you’re using to get too thick.
I may be biased but this is my favorite French toast I have ever had. It’s the perfect chance to give you a break from animal products while not sacrificing any of the flavor that you’re used to. I promise you won’t think this tastes any different to your regular French toast.
If you do try this or any other recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #modernlittlevictories on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you think and what you create in your kitchen.
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp brown sugar
- 2-3 tbsp vegan butter
- 4-6 slices thick cut sourdough bread
- optional for topping: strawberries, powdered sugar, maple syrup, agave
- In a blender add the almond milk and chia seeds and let sit for about 15 minutes giving the chia seeds a chance to thicken the milk a bit.
- After that add in the banana, cinnamon, and sugar and blend until all combined.
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot add in a tbsp of butter and let melt. Coat a slice of bread in the custard like mixture and place in the skillet. Cooking for about 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Continue until all the bread is done.
- Serve hot and enjoy!